What is a line?


What inspired me to do the image above was this:

Although the image is just a series of vertical lines, I find it very striking. Theres something beautifully organic about it, I think this is because its pretty much a completely natural colour pallete, the lines are single pixels stretched out from a digital photograph which was taken of something that exists in the natural physical world and thus the colours seem to compliment each other perfectly.

It also got me thinking about the question, 'what is a line?' - in a bitmap image, could every pixel be classified as a line because like in the two images above, single pixels were used as the beggings of a much longer line, thus making each pixel very short lines? They are square... but does a line have to be have equal sides? A vector is considered a line no matter what shape it is.

This is an image I manipulated of the iconic Barack Obama 'Hope' poster Shepard Fairey. I was using this image as a practice ground to see what diffirent effects I could come up with by starting the 'pixel stretching' (for a lack of a better way of describing it) at diffirent points in the image. I did this and really liked it - becaues it starts by his eyes it reminds me of a veil. In the Middle-East many women wears veils, including the countries that the George Bush regime invaded over the past 8 years. This poster could communicate that there is hope that Obama might help sort out the mess in those countries.

Onto something diffirent, I came across this during my research into lines. At first this may seem like rows of diagonal pink and white lines, nothing special... now take a few steps back, and look at it again...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home