Book of 100 - 'Statement of Intent'

Title and focus of my work in response to the brief:
The book does not currently have an official title as of yet due to the fact that I'm still developing my ideas but its revolving around frames so 'Book of 100 Frames' could be the 'work in progress' title. At the moment I'm focusing on picture frames and this will be the main focus in my book. I currently heading towards creating either a 'frame catalogue' or a photo album.

Specific areas of research that I intend to investigate and methods that I will use:
The information I gathered over Christmas was a set of photographs documenting frame-work ranging from picture frames to bicycle frames. From this, factual information available to me is: Location of shot, Material of frame, i.e. wood, plastic, metal etc., Colours, Size etc. Whichever idea I choose to go with I will definetly be needing to take a lot more photos, if I'm going to do a 'frame catalogue' I'll need to take a lot more pictures of frames for study, inspiration and probably editing in Photoshop. Another Idea I have is to create a Photo album for past and present students in Leeds to keep memories of their time here in which I'll take photos of instantly recognisable buildings (ie. Roger Stevens building) and I'll cut holes out of parts of the buildings forming a frame for pictures to go into, I want to be creative with the architecture kind of in a way that Jaap Vliegenhart was when he created his awesome Photoshop manipulations of cityscapes (viewable in the portfolio section of his website) but instead of adding to the image through manipulation I'll be subtracting from it.
For the catologue idea I'll need to gather information such as which types of materials are used for frames both conventional and obscure as well as diffirent variations and finishings i.e. diffirent coulorations that varnish gives wood. I'll look into the history of framing and how its changed, what was popular then and now, antiquity and modernist framwork. For the album idea I'll need to find out and make a list of which buildings are memorable among students that will make for visually interesting photographs which will probably be done through a questionnare, I'll need to study into what type of photography and effects which would work best in context with my idea and I'll also need to study the mechanics of photo albums i.e. how the photographs will be held in place within the album.

What I'll use to create my book:
Photography is a very important one, I'll need to create very proffesional, crisp and detailed images which will require me hiring out an SLR as I won't be able to acheive the quality I need on my "point-and-click". I might use black and white photography, I've been exploring it within my elective and have access to the dark rooms almost every evening to develop film. I'll more than likely use Photoshop to edit the photos to get them consistent with each other and make any alterations that are needed. Typography will play a role as I'll probably be adding extra information through text and its obviously needed for the title. I'f I'm going to create a photo-album I'm going to have to do a lot of research into the practical side of how they are made as I've never done anything like it before, and it will probably require a lot of research, how-to guides, trial and error and a lot of time!

Methods I'll use to evaluate the progress and success of my work
I think is important to each stage of devolopment whether it be the research or mock-ups of the final product. Evaluation of research and ideas will be done in notebooks/sketchbooks, browsing other peoples ideas and past-work, from speaking to people which is especially effective in group crits - this also counts for final pieces. At various stages of devolopment I can present my work to be tested, which will probably involved a mock-up of the final product and a questionnare with questions which ask for input on the strength and weaknesses of the work and what could be improved.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home