Back online!

I've finally got my new blog up and running (had a few hiccups with the first one)... unfortunately I can't add the entry on that blog to this one so that it will appear on the same date, so heres a
link to it: click me.

This should be a fairly long post as there is a lot to catch up on that I would have posted on the original blog had it been working correctly. Last week I worked I worked on the 'Visual Thinking 1 - Alphabet Soup' brief. I enjoyed it very much but after the crit on friday I think I would have done things a lot diffirently and have a lot of improvements to make.

The main problem I had was that I focused less on the manipulation of the actual type-face and more on the concept and although the imagery worked well it strayed a bit from the point of the task. Nevertheless I did my research and here is the image that inspired me to use the watercolour theme that ran through the series.
As you can see the mountain was a direct inspiration for the frame where upper case E's are depicted worshiping a lower case E. I was originally going to have the lower case e sitting on a throne but decided the mountain would be more visually interesting.

When it was announced that we had to use these letteforms for print-making stencils I had a big problem. First of all my images were landscape and secondly most of them were made up of more negative than positive space. I decided to re-do them specifically for the print-making workshop. I wanted them to be a lot simpler and would also work well for print purposes. My inspiration came during our critical studies session on Tuesday morning. Richard spoke about how when Nazi Germany arose they rejected modernism in favour of more decorative, gothic type design. He showed us some examples of war propaganda posters of the time such as those on the right of this text.
I really liked the look of the type design and thought it would work really well with the word I was given which was 'exaggerate' - I thought over-exaggerating the decoration of the stylised serifs and under-exagerrating everything else i.e. making it thin and boring I could have a very interesting type face, the results are as follows

0 comments:

Newer Post Home